- Difficulty: Easy
- Category: Cycle touring, self-guided (also ideal for families)
- Duration: 6 nights, 7 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
From sleeping volcanos to white sandy beaches, this gentle cycling holiday reveals the many jewels of Catalonia
- Whatever your age or fitness level, this easy cycle tour is for you... and it's perfect for kids!
- Explore beautiful landscapes while cycling along a purpose-built rail trail 'The Carrilet'.
- Hand-picked comfortable hotels with swimming pools, by the sea or by the river.
- Explore La Garrotxa Natural Park with its sleeping volcanoes hidden amongst dense woodland.
- Discover the town of Olot and enjoy its modernist architecture.
- Take a dip in the crystal waters of the waterfall 'La Gorga Santa Margarida'.
- Stroll through the cobbled streets of the vibrant city of Girona and be surprised by its colourful hanging houses along the river Onyar.
- Three pleasant circular routes mean you spend two nights in each hotel so you don´t have to pack each day.
- Two final nights at the Mediterranean seaside town of Sant Feliu, with time to relax on its white sandy beaches.
Which airport should I fly to? Girona or Barcelona International Airports.
How do I get to the Starting Point? Private transfer by taxi. 45 minutes.
How do I get back? Private transfer by taxi. 30 minutes.
Day 1: Individual arrival to Olot
Your tour begins in the interesting town of Olot, the capital of the Garrotxa Natural Park. Why not visit one of its interesting museums or enjoy a guided tour of the modernist quarter.
Day 2: Round trip Olot
Your first cycle will take you exploring this beautiful area in the foothills of the Pyrenees. There are many extinct volcanoes to be seen around Olot, now camouflaged amongst dense woodland. One can still guess where they are by the conical shape of the hills and the flat tops of the edge of the craters. Don't miss the curious chapel hidden in the centre of the crater of Santa Margarida.
11-16 miles (18-26 km) / Climb: 480 m
Day 3: Olot to Les Planes d´Hostoles
Today you will cycle from Olot to Amer along the “Carrilet” rail trail. The journey takes you through several typical towns set in beautiful landscapes. If you fancy a dip in the afternoon, the 'Gorga Margarida' waterfall is a short walk away. It's worth exploring!
16 miles (26 km) / Climb: 170 m
Day 4: Les Planes d´Hostoles to Girona
Today the Carrilet takes you from La Celera de Ter to the Capital of the Province: Girona, a fabulous city which basks in colour and sunshine. Enjoy losing yourself in the old quarter and soak up the atmosphere of this vibrant city!
19 miles (33 km) / Climb: 10 m
Day 5: Girona to Sant Feliu de Guixols
Today you will be able to enjoy the white sands and crystal clear waters of the Sant Feliu beaches, which await you at the end of today's route. There will be several interesting towns to stop in along the carrilet before you reach the stunning costa Brava of Girona.
26 miles (43 km) / Climb: 140 m
Day 6: Round trip Sant Feliu
Today you will have several great options to choose from, all of which give you the opportunity to explore and enjoy the spectacular beaches and indulge in a refreshing dip or two.
11-16 miles (17-25 km) / Climb: 82 m
Day 7: Departure
A private transfer can be booked back to Girona or Barcelona or why not take the opportunity to extend your stay by the sea!
Days 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 in pleasant small, family-run hotels. Day 5 in a ***city hotel in the historic town of Girona, centrally located. All hotels with swimming pools (except day 3).
Day 1 and 2, Olot
Day 3, Les Planes d´Hostoles
Day 4, Girona
Day 5 and 6, Sant Feliu de Guixols
Our hire bikes and equipment:
A bicycle specialist will deliver your hire bike and adjust it to your specifications. We provide you with fully equipped touring bicycles. Remember that we carry your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
- Price: 727 € per adult
- Single room supplement: 153€
- Solo traveller supplement: 240€
- 1st and 2nd children in family room: 369 € per child
- Child in his/her own single room: 646 € per child
- Children in their own double room: 494 € per child
- Children in their own triple room: 449 € per child
- Half board / dinners (wine not incl.): 110€
- Half board Children (per child): 95€
- Bike hire: 75€
- Electric Bike hire: 155€
- Child bike hire: 60€
- Child tandem or trailer hire: 75€
- GPS rental (one per group): 15€
- 6 nights´ accommodation.
- 6 breakfasts.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions, plus information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.