- Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
- Category: Walking, self-guided
- Duration: 4 nights, 5 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
Discover the beauty of the Guadarrama National Park, the enchanting city of Segovia and the majestic royal palace of San Ildefonso.
- Take a step back in time in the enchanting historic city of Segovia, World Heritage Site, with its remarkable Roman aqueduct and captivating castle and cathedral.
- Delight your senses as you walk through the aromatic pine woodland of the Guadarrama National Park, home to the Iberian wolf, native wild boar, deer and a host of birds of prey.
- Immerse yourself in Castilian culture as you stroll through centuries-old ochre villages and towns anchored in an age long past.
- Wander the cobbled streets of San Ildefonso with its resplendent royal palace nestled at the feet of the highest peak in the park, Peñalara at 2.428 m.
- Drove roads, countrylanes, riverside paths and quiet cobbled streets acompany you through this tailor-made walking route.
This short route is very varied; crossing open expanses of granite strewn tablelands, grass covered steppes, stands of juniper and oak forest, through delightful wooded river valleys and between honey coloured limestone outcrops. The whole journey is framed by the soft peaks of the Guadarrama mountain range - often snow-capped until mid-May.
Which airport should I fly to? Madrid International Airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? Catch an AVE (High Speed Train) from Madrid to Segovia (approx 25mins). From here book our local taxi transfer to Navafría (approx 35 minutes)
How do I get back? Book our local transfer From Gallegos to Segovia (approx 35mins) and catch an AVE (High Speed Train) back into Madrid.
Day 1: Arrival to Segovia
This fabulous walking tour in the heart of central Spain begins in the monumental city of Segovia, declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1985. You will spend the first night in the city and have a chance to explore its many historic jewels like the towering Roman Aqueduct, a veritable marvel of ancient civil engineering which still provided water to the city only last century. Take time to enjoy a chilled glass of wine in the exquisite 'Plaza Mayor' while contemplating the magnificent cathedral, then take a stroll to the fairytale, ornate Alcazar, where queen Isabel sent Christopher Columbus on his exploration of the Americas.
Day 2: Riverside walk to Valsain
A short transfer takes you to the historic town of San Ildefonso. Your route today is a circular walk along the banks of the river Eresma as its meanders through the tranquil pineforest. You'll pass through the typical mountain village of Valsain where the local woodcutters, cow herders and horsemen maintain ancient traditions with a modern twist!
10-17 Km / Climb: 390 m
Day 3: Circular walk to 'El Chorro' waterfall
Today you will come upon the refreshing pools of the 'El Chorro' waterfall as you pass through the oak and pine woodland on the slopes of Peñalara. You can combine your walk with a visit to the magnificent palace of San Ildefonso, surrounded by rustic gardens and ornate fountains, and the interesting glass-making exhibition and museum, well worth a visit.
10,5 Km / Climb: 464 m
Day 4: Walk along the foothills
Today's transfer takes you to Pradena to walk along ancient drover´s tracks taking you through sweet-scented juniper forests to the traditional little mountain village of Gallegos.
15 Km / Climb: 420 m
Return home or why not enjoy an extra night or two in Segovia or Madrid?
Situated in the very heart of Segovia, next to the Main Square and the Cathedral. This 15th century building was turned into a Hotel & Spa in 2005 incorporating many arqueological remains to up-to-date comfort.
Comfortable hotel at the historic gates of the town, a brief walk from the royal palace and gardens.
Small family-run rural hotel full of character. Excellent hospitable host. Small outdoor swimming pool in a rustic garden with views of the mountains.
- Price: 386€ per person
- Single supplement: 96€
- Solo supplement: 134€
- Half Board / dinners: 75€
- 4 nights’ accommodation in charming small rural hotels.
- 4 breakfasts.
- Private transfers on days 2 and 4.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
CHECK AVAILABILITY OR RESOLVED YOUR DOUBTS
FINAL PRICE CALCULATION AND BOOK NOWUsing the tool below you can calculate the final price of your trip. PLEASE, BEFORE YOU BOOK, CONSULT AVAILABILITY.
Walking Segovia short break